The must-pack items for sleepaway camp.
Packing and gathering your things for summer camp is always an exciting time, it means fun is around the corner! You print your list of items you need to bring and start looking for them all over your house. For first-timers, you might not have them all, but that’s what shopping is all about. The key to being a successful packer is to give yourself plenty of time. Organization is also crucial, and zip-lock bags are a lifesaver.
If you the camp is ten days long then pack for 15 days, chances are they won’t have laundry in their facilities. Besides, who wants to be laundry anyway? It is vacation time! Now, what luggage should you bring? Remember you are likely to sleep in bunk beds, so there will be little space for storage, so get a duffle bag. Once the duffle bag is empty, you can tuck it away.
Here are a few things you probably will be needing:
- A small bag for short trips outside the camp.
- Waterproof shoes, coat and pant.
- Sunscreen, and anything that can protect you for the sun like scarves, sunglasses, and hats.
- Swimwear, at least two and some water shoes.
- Light T-Shirts and shorts that are comfortable enough any kind of activity
- One pair of jeans, one pair of sweatpants and a couple of sweaters, even though this will take place over the summer, the nights and morning can be very chilly, in this case, it is all about layering.
- Tennis or running shoes, ones that pleasant to wear all day.
- Pajamas, you will want to bring two or three sets, with some flip flops and a bathrobe when you are done showering.
- Underwear, bring two weeks worth.
- Portable safe, ideal for locking up cash and other valuables and preventing theft.
- Wash kit, a small bag where you can carry your toiletries (i.e. toothbrush, toothpaste, shower gel, soap, body cream, shampoo and conditioner).
Camps are known for having theme nights, so make sure to take with you some smart outfits and shoes to look the part! Make sure to check with your summer camp program if they have a unique activity like horseback riding or a tennis field you would like to bring your equipment for.